Saturday, January 22, 2011

A book by any other name…

I own a lot of books and after a while you tend to come across some unusual ones. One series of books that I own quite a few of is the Evil Genius series of books from McGraw Hill. These books consist of experiments or projects related to a particular topic. Oddly enough I can not figure out who thought it would be good idea to use the word evil in the title.  Evil to me has the connotation that these books will inspire mayhem. That you will be able to take over the world if you carefully extract the right bit of information.  Of course that is far from the truth. Here are the best evil epithets I could make up for some of these books.

  • 125 Physics Projects For the Evil Genius: Cower as I prove conservation of momentum.
  • 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius:  Hahahah…  The end is near. I can program microcontrollers.
  • Fuel Cell Projects for the Evil Genius: My death ray is environmentally friendly.

Does this mean that the books are bad? No.  I rather enjoy them.  Most of them are well written and the topics are not ones found normal science books like holography and fuel cells.  So while you aren’t going to take over the world with these books you might just learn a thing or two about science.

No comments:

Post a Comment